Over the years the College has endured both good times and bad. The College closed its doors in April 1861 when the Civil War erupted. Although the Confederate government commandeered the campus in December 1862 and used the main building as a hospital, the College suffered no serious damage as a result of the war. In fact classes resumed just four months after Lee surrendered at Appomattox.
Under the leadership of its 18th president, Dr. Charles W. Sydnor Jr. (E&H class of 1965), the College began making great strides towards becoming a premier liberal arts college. During the Sydnor years (1984-1992) Emory & Henry tripled the size of its endowment and completed a major overhaul of its infrastructure which included the renovation and expansion of the Van Dyke Center. He also wrote the plan that modernized the College’s board of trustees.
Although it is more than 50 years old, the most comprehensive history of the College remains the late Dr. George Stevenson’s Increase in Excellence: A History of Emory and Henry College (New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1963). Even though it is no longer in print, copies are available through one’s local public library via interlibrary loan. Those wishing to purchase a copy may do so by using www.bookfinder.com. It will direct one to those booksellers that have used copies for sale.
To commemorate Emory & Henry's 175th anniversary, college archivist Robert Vejnar wrote Legacy & Vision: A Pictorial History of Emory & Henry College, which is available through the college's bookstore. Vejnar also wrote "From a Bishop and a Patriot to a Bishop and a Saint: Rival Understandings of the Naming of Emory & Henry College" in The Smithfield Review.
Emory & Henry Finding Aids
Below are finding aids to those collections within the College archives that have been processed and are available for researchers to use.