The worldwide vice president for government affairs and policy for Johnson & Johnson will deliver the keynote address Thursday, March 27, during a celebration of the 178th anniversary of the founding of Emory & Henry College.
Gary M. Reedy, a native of Rural Retreat, is responsible for spearheading initiatives to influence and shape global health policy and advocacy for Johnson & Johnson’s biopharmaceuticals business, and for all business sectors in the Eurpoean Union, Middle East and Africa.
His speech will highlight a celebration that begins at 11 a.m. in Memorial Chapel and will include recognition of alumni and friends of the College who have contributed to the College or their communities through service and accomplishment.
Before joining Johnson & Johnson, Reedy served as president of Ortho Biotech with commercial responsibilities in the United States and Canada. In this capacity, he led the organization to significant achievements in the therapeutic areas of cancer, immunology, chronic kidney disease, and acute and specialty care.
Reedy served as chair of the American Cancer Society national board of directors and is a past member of the American Cancer Society Foundation board. He also served as chair of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. He served on the Emory & Henry College Board of Visitors from 2005 to 2010 before his appointment to the College’s Board of Trustees in 2010. He currently serves as vice chair of the Board of Trustees and chair of the Board’s Advancement Committee.
A 1978 E&H graduate, Reedy majored in biology at the College and was president of Beta Lambda Zeta social fraternity before graduating in 1978. He lives in Dresher, Pa., with his wife, Dr. Cindy Reedy, who also attended Emory & Henry (re-’80).
Emory & Henry annually observes Founders Day to celebrate the founding of the College and those individuals and groups whose efforts were instrumental in establishing Southwest Virginia’s first institution of higher education. Initial planning for the founding of Emory & Henry began in October 1835, when members of the Holston Conference of the Methodist Church voted to establish a college in the region. By January 1, 1836, the site had been selected, and the cornerstone for the first building was laid September 30, 1836, at a founding celebration. Classes began in the spring of 1838.
Four area individuals are credited with raising funds and choosing the site for the College. Tobias Smyth, a local farmer and enthusiastic Methodist lay person; the Reverend Creed Fulton, a circuit-riding Methodist minister from Grayson County, Virginia; Colonel William Byars, a distinguished Presbyterian lay person from Glade Spring, Virginia; and Alexander Findlay, a successful business entrepreneur from Abingdon, Virginia.